Every three years BTPA sets out medium and long-term objectives for the British Transport Police in a Strategic Plan. This is in addition to the annual policing plans, which cover objectives for the three-year period from the date of the plan’s publication.
The latest strategic plan was published in 2011 and replaced the 2008-11 plan.
BTPA’s 2011-14 Strategic Plan can also be downloaded in PDF format. You may need Adobe Reader to view PDF files.
To deliver policing excellence for Britain’s railways by continuously providing value for our stakeholders and the railway community.
Our mission is to protect and serve the railway environment and its community, keeping levels of disruption, crime and the fear of crime as low as possible. We will achieve this by:
- Being responsive, flexible and creative in the way we work and in our anticipation of the changing needs of our railway community
- Reassuring passengers and staff by providing a highly visible, polite, professional and helpful presence
- Working with our partners to improve perceptions of safety and security
- Developing professionalism among officers and staff giving them the capability to deliver an effective and innovative policing service with a unity of purpose
- Stripping out bureaucracy to develop ways of working that are simple and ‘fit for purpose’
- Working in closer partnership with our stakeholders to deliver value for money and continuous improvement in productivity and performance.
Our activities and decisions will be based on, and guided by, these values:
- Always doing what we say we will and striving for excellence and quality in everything we do
- Taking ownership of our customers’ needs and being accountable for delivering an efficient and effective policing service
- Acting with integrity at all times, to provide a quality service
- Being a learning organisation, sharing knowledge, committed to continuous professional development of our people
- Treating one another with respect and taking pride in the significant contributions that come from the diversity of individuals and ideas
- We will continue to ensure that good quality data is available to allow us to evaluate progress against our Plan.
Over the period of this Strategic Plan, BTP will focus on four key objectives:
- Helping to keep rail transport systems running
- Helping to make rail transport systems safer and more secure
- Deliver value for money through continuous improvement
- Promoting confidence in the use of rail transport systems
We look forward to working together with all our partners over the next three years to make the railways an even safer place.
Click here for an introduction to the current strategy from BTPA’s chairman and chief executive